Monday, August 10, 2015

The Legends & Heavy Hitters of Soul - Millie Jackson

The Legends & Heavy Hitters of Soul show was held at the Show Place Arena in Upper Marlboro, Maryland, on August 1.  It featured Nellie 'Tiger' Travis, Clarence Carter, Latimore, Wilson Meadows, and Millie Jackson.  I love southern soul shows and was thankful to have the opportunity to attend one in the DC/MD/VA area. 

The legendary Millie Jackson is a powerful performer.  She has a unique voice but that girl is wild, says anything and everything she wants, is a little vulgar, and is so totally cool. I had her I Had To Say It album and would play it from one end to the other on both sides! Millie Jackson helped change the music industry and was recently inducted into the 2015 Rhythm & Blues Music Hall of Fame. She started her set with no where to turn to, tired of being alone, I feel like breaking up somebody's home. She did a medley of songs: I've been too long in the wind, too long in the rain...; If You're Not Back In Love By Monday; Hurt So Good; a beautiful ballad written by Betty Wright; Leave Me Alone (she said just because she's alone doesn't means she's lonely); and sang her latest songs That Bitch Crazy and Take the bottle, shake it up. I wished she had sung Ask Me What You Want. My criticism is that her overall performance was ok but I was glad I had a chance to see her perform one more time.

Here's a copy of my most favorite Millie Jackson song, If You're Not Back In Love by Monday.

XXOOXX
Southern Soul Paradise
southernsoulparadise@hotmail.com