Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Morning Show Host Funky Larry Jones Passes

I was devastated when I saw this news this morning.  I listened to Funky Larry Jones and Southern Soul Radio every morning while I was at work and loved his show.  I would often talk to him and found that not only was he extremely knowledgeable about music, he was a super nice guy.  He was very friendly and was always willing to talk to me. My condolences to his family.  I will really, really miss him.

The below info was taken from the Southern Soul Radio website:  http://southernsoulradio.com/#.

RIP my brother
Southern Soul Paradise
FLJBThe host of the morning show on Southern Soul Radio, Funky Larry Jones, passed away Tuesday afternoon May 6th at St. Dominics Hospital in Jackson, Mississippi.
A Florida native, Larry Jones, a.k.a Funky Larry, embarked on his radio disc jockey career at the tender age of fourteen years old with his own part-time talk show. He then later got his own full-time spot. From that point, he found his way all across the South and right in the heart of Southern Soul lovers.
He was the founder of The Soul And Blues Report (http://soulandbluesreport.com) a worldwide website focused on promoting Soul, Blues and Gospel music.  He joined Malaco Records as radio promotion and host of the newly launched Southern Soul Radio online radio station (www.southernsoulradio.com).  Over the years, Larry cultivated a strong and devout audience of Soul and Blues lovers with his superb music programming and informative morning show.
We will miss this legendary pioneer of music!  R.I.P “Funky” Larry Jones.