Saturday, September 24, 2011

Southern Soul Paradise - 10,000 Hits

I’ve been listening to southern soul music a long time, way before it was even called southern soul. My father loved all kinds of music but his heart was with the blues and I grew up listening to Joe Simon, Denise LaSalle, and so many other blues artists that he played on our stereo. We were a military family and although we moved around a lot, my Dad’s heart was with the blues. We settled in my parent’s home of Alabama after he retired and I later moved “up north” after college. On my trips home, I would make cassette tapes of the blues that I heard on the radio, I eventually graduated to CDs, and now, in this internet age, a whole new world has opened up for me. I can now listen online all of the time to local south-central Alabama radio stations like WKXN (I love Lewis Dee) and WBFZ. I also love southernsoulradio.com, WDLT in Mobile, Spice Internet Radio, WMPR, and a lot of the southern soul sites that stream on the world wide web.  There are also great sites that offer so much information that we were never able to get before - places like Soul Blues Report, Daddy B. Nice's Southern Soul RnB, and a whole lot of others.

I started this blog because I love southern soul. It began with me writing mainly for myself and with the hope that there were others who love the music as much as I do. Tons of people migrate from Alabama, Mississippi, and Georgia to the north and we just don’t have the luxury of turning on the radio and hearing southern soul. I wanted this blog to be a vehicle to keep people like me informed.

A huge thank you to everyone who clicks on Southern Soul Paradise! I can’t believe that there have been more than 10,000 hits and I can only hope you enjoy reading my entries as much as I love writing them.

From the bottom of my heart, thank you, thank you, thank you!

XXOOXX
Southern Soul Paradise